Saturday, February 26, 2011

40 years of puberty

I think my partner, Jack, likes me.  I mean, not just likes me as in we enjoy working together, which I know he does, but really likes me, likes me. He almost asked me out when our shift was ending. I managed to escape out the door before he could, but I still have to face him tomorrow, and the next night, and the next. What the heck am I going to do?

Don't get me wrong. Jack's a nice guy, even really cute. When I told Ma about it, she smiled and said she approved, that he was “a very nice young man,” and it was about time.

She doesn’t get why I’m having conniptions. Jack’s not the problem. It's me. I am a walking disaster when it comes to men. The world's oldest virgin. I'm damn near old enough to qualify for social security and there are 25 year old nuns who have gotten more action than I have. I’ve never even been on a real date. Who is a girl who is 60 and looks 20 supposed to date? I’ve always moved away whenever a guy got too close, but Ma’s getting too old to start over again with new identities. I’m here in Austin to stay, for a decade or two anyway. Jack’s like 27. What do people that age talk about on dates?

People who think living for centuries would be great never seem to think about some of the fun realities of having this long a lifespan. Like 40 years of puberty. So far. Humans get a few years of living hell in high school while their voices break and hair grows in weird places and they get their periods and the boob fairy visits, and bam, they’re all grown up. There are times when I’d kill to be human.

Everyone else learned about dating in high school. I couldn’t even go to high school. I looked like I was 12 until I was past 20. Managed to get through college by stuffing a bra with socks and using a lot of makeup. It took twenty years for me to fill out a bra enough that I could stop using the socks, and that was when I started getting scales. We’re not just talking slightly hard spots on my skin, I mean shiny, metallic, bright purple scales the size of nickels only more oval. And eventually a few brilliant green ones, too, and bigger silver ones about quarter size on my spine and one shoulder and breast.

On the one hand, I keep thinking, when these cover my whole body, I’ll almost look like my dad, only mostly purple. I’ll have deep purple as my main color and emerald green tiger stripes. That would be so cool.

On the other hand, I’ve got freaking scales on my body! And let’s not talk about my feet or the underside of my arms and my sides where my wings fold up. I don’t know how Dad did the, I’m perfectly human, thing.  I can’t even let a date get to second base. If he so much as cops a feel, he’s going to know I’m a freak. And what would I wear? I can’t wear anything form-fitting or low cut. All of my clothes look frumpy. I don’t have anything date worthy in my closet at all.

I’d better go shopping. If I'm going to go out with Jack, I’ve got to find something to wear.

D Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment